Pages

2.18.2011

Chapel Today

I want to leave a special thank you to those who prayed for Nathan this morning.  The internet is an amazing thing and we saw tweets and facebook messages from many friends to let us know they were lifting up Nathan. What an encouragement!  We also had several friends attend in person and that meant so much (you know who you are)!  I think Nathan and I both had a little anxiety that somehow we would not be able to adequately express the depths of our hearts and the eternal significance of this issue in a chapel message.  Afterall, how do you condense a decade's worth of experiences and lessons into 25 minutes?


It's only been a few hours but we've received some tremendous feedback.  I don't write that in a vain way.  What I think I've learned (what our pastor calls "the sermon around the sermon") is the power of sharing the story God's given us (and not just us, but each of us saved by His grace).  Many times I want to just keep it to myself.  I know, you're saying, but you BLOG!  Really, though, there are so many things I want to say that never make it on here.  I don't trust my phrase-ology, I'm afraid it will offend someone, or I just want to be selfish and keep it to myself (I can't be THAT transparent). But without being real, we're denying others of the opportunity to see God at work and ultimately, an opportunity for Him to receive glory.

Nathan had two students come up to him afterwards and thank him for giving them new insight into their own personal adoption stories.  We had three girls from Asburians For Life ask about meeting with us sometime about integrating adoption into their pro-life message (amen, girls! you get it! putting feet to your message). Another student shared that the message gave her a new passion for bringing the "spiritual" orphans we have on campus to Jesus.  And two individuals told us that this message confirmed that the Lord has been speaking to them about  using adoption as a means of building their families.  Thank you, Lord!

The podcast isn't online yet, but I will be sure to post a link when it is.  I missed most of the message as I was  with Reni, but Meredith texted me when Nathan reached a point in the outline and I walked in and brought Reni up to Nathan on the platform.  He quietly said, "Da da!"  I don't think the mic picked it up but the first few rows must have heard because I heard some, "awws!"  Reni did great, quietly sitting in his dad's arms, surveying the 1,000+ sets of eyes checking him out.  I had been resistant to this idea, but I think it served as a powerful way to close out the message while Nathan wrapped up.

Now, Nathan's off to men's retreat for the weekend where he'll have more time for one-on-one's with guys -- one his favorite things to do.  I'm home with the kids and we're looking forward to some time with one of my childhood friends, Kelly, and her daughter Colby (who Ellie keeps calling Susie -- and not to be funny! She should have it figured out by the end of the weekend).

Thanks for continuing to love our family!

P.S.  All photos shamelessly & hastily snagged from Google Images.  If you've never been to our special little corner of the woods, this is Hughes Auditorium on the campus of Asbury University, site of thrice weekly campus chapels and powerful moments with Him.

2 comments:

Aunt Ruth said...

I wish I could have been in the chapel service. I did not know (listening to the streaming radio broadcast)that Nathan had Reni in his arms for part of the service. How precious and meaningful!!!

Kjernald Family Adventures said...

I can't wait to hear the pod cast. Wish I could have been there to see the final moments especially. Have been praying for you guys over here, glad to hear it found many homes in the hearts of the hearers. Hopefully that will continue as the podcast comes out. Shawn always said adoption was like a rolling stone, it kept going and getting bigger and bigger. I pray that happens not only with the physical act of adoption, but the spiritual one through your ministry. Miss you guys.

Blessings,
laurie