Pages

2.28.2013

Stuck

(note from Cydil: first there will be an explanation of our current travel state, followed by a special prayer request at the bottom, un-related to travel, sort of).

Yes.  We were supposed to be landing in Albania right now.  Instead, I'm typing from the business center of our Sheraton Hotel, trying not to think about that right now.  One thing after another just didn't go right for us last night.  First, our plane was 2 hours delayed arriving in Peoria.  Then, we got to Chicago at 9:15, but sat on the runway for 45 minutes while we waited for the plane at our assigned gate to board and then, de-ice (a 20-minute process).  Our flight to Istanbul was to depart at 10:00.

To add insult to injury, we were at the very end of terminal C (if you're familiar with O'Hare, you'll know that's United's large terminal, connected to the rest of the airport by an underground tunnel).  I will spare you the labored description of our trek on foot to the shuttle train, which we watched pull away as we got to the escalators at the platform and had to wait another 10 minutes for the next one to take us from teriminal 1 to the other end of the airport at terminal 5.  All that to say, it took us 35 minutes to travel on foot from our gate to the Turkish Airlines Counter.  We arrived just as the employees stepped out from behind the counters to go home, on their cell phones, in their coats.

Their word?  Come back at 4PM tomorrow!  Our prayer is that those same two individuals are working the counter this afternoon!  We've been unable to confirm any further travel arrangements either in person at the United counter, over the phone with United, nor talking with Turkish Airlines on the phone (twice) or through our travel agent.  Since waking this morning we have secured paper documentation from United about why we missed our connection and hope that when we arrive at the counter at 4pm, Turkish will put us on their 10PM flight tonight.  We've blown off any hope of getting an earlier flight to Albania today that would get us in Friday afternoon instead of Friday evening (we have SO MUCH TO DO before the team arrives Saturday).

In spite of all of this, I'm SO thankful that we've all had good attitudes.  We called several hotels before we found a room at the Sheraton (believe me, we don't usually stay in digs this nice -- though it's seeming like a better and better deal with all the times we're riding the shuttle to and from the airport and taking advantage of their ample supply of complimentary toiletries).  We didn't get to bed until 2AM, but they are graciously allowing us to stay until 4PM so we don't have to glue our bums to an airport chair for 9 hours before boarding, like we feared.

Changing direction COMPLETELY, I got an e-mail this morning that blew me away.  It was from a mom who's adopting a little boy from Ellie's orphanage in Vlora. As she shared their challenges and concerns I struggled to hold back tears.  It was so de ja vu.  How do we get him to eat solid foods?  How do we get him to drink out of a cup (or drink fluids period)?  There was more which I won't share out of respect for their privacy but would you pray with me that in spite of my very tight schedule that we could find time where we would both be in Tirana at the same time?   In six years this is only the second family I've encountered who has adopted a child from Ellie's orphanage. (Sadly, the first family didn't bring their child home -- the kids in this orphanage have so, so much to overcome).  I remember my emotional state and I would love to be able to offer some encouragement and hope in person, if possible.  I told my mom today that instances like this remind me just how far our Ellie has come, and re-orient my expectations for her anew, thankful for God's provision for her in so many ways.  Finally, I would like to be able to find a sippy cup for them just like what we brought over for Ellie (it was by Nuby, and was soft, pliable plastic).  I hope that O'Hare has some sort of pharmacy store that might sell them.  Is that too much to ask?

Thank you, friends!  I appreciate that you love and pray for us!  We sense your prayers!

P.S.  Later this afternoon a previously composed post will go up which, according to my dad, is full of "here's so-and-so, whom we know through such-and-such."  I apologize that my travelogues lack more creativity!  By no means does that mean that their relationship is more or less special to us than any one else!  I'm just trying to introduce you to our friends :-)

1 comment:

Joann said...

Sending prayers for your family as you wait and for the family getting to know their new child.