Pages

11.06.2011

Orphan Sunday

Today is Orphan Sunday, a day on the calendar for the Church to intentionally unite in prayer for those in this world who lack a parent, a protector.

I think every parent who has adopted takes pause on a day like this and remembers the ones who were left behind.  It's such a helpless feeling.  You've probably heard someone half jokingly say, "I'd have taken them all home with me if they'd let me!"  But that person's not really joking.  Because you know how bleak is the situation of those who don't have someone coming for them.

Coincidentally or not, last night and this evening I've been reading old blog posts from our trip to get Reni last summer and I see the snapshots of him and I hardly recognize him.  He doesn't look like my son.  Not the little boy who snuck up behind me this morning and grabbed my leg saying, "I got you, Mommy!"  Not the boy who told a little friend tonight, "That's MY mommy!"  He has a sparkle in his eye and a fire in his heart today that we didn't see in the summer of 2010.  Oh what a difference a family makes!

Yesterday morning our house was LOUD.  It was loud with the shrieks and squeals of happy kids.  And I was happy.  We didn't have any immediate plans so the four of us lay on the bed for a while, a laughing, tickling, teasing tangle of arms and legs.  At one point Ellie asked the question (which she asks about once a week), "Is our family stuck together forever?"  And every time we assure her, "Yes, Ellie!  Our family is stuck together FOREVER!"  While I know she has no memory of her life before us, I can't help but think some vestiges of her heart bear that memory of loneliness.  I'm so, so sad that it's part of her past, but I'm thankful that it's past.  And it's true what the Psalmist says in 68:6, "God sets the lonely in families..."

God has worked miracles in both of our children, and we've had a front row seat to their transformation. What a privilege!  But they're not the only ones who've been transformed.  Both Nathan and I have been transformed in ways we can't express.  If you're on the fence, if you have fears about whether or not you can make the leap to open your life to another in this way, pray, read your Bible, and talk to people you know who have adopted. E-mail us.  We'll be happy to be a resource however we can.

Before church commenced this morning, Ellie turned to me and said, "Mommy, I want us to adopt two babies.  With black skin."  I smiled at the qualifier.  I thought, We'll see, Ellie!  You make me so proud! I'm so glad you have a heart for those who who need a family!


Below is a brief video that was shown in our church this morning that just serves as a reminder about God's heart for the orphan and our responsibility as His hands and feet.



Creation Groans from Christian Alliance for Orphans on Vimeo.

1 comment:

Aunt Ruth said...

How far reaching are Ellie and Reni's adoptions. Not only you and Nathan have your hearts stretched and blessed, but the children have immensely added an special dimension of God's love to all our family!!! Love and Prayers,