Pages

8.04.2014

Reni's 5th Birthday Re-Cap


I've felt so bad for over a year now.  I never blogged Reni's 4th birthday (and it was kind of a special one with lots of family gathered to celebrate him). 

It came in the midst of our packing up the farm house, my sister and nieces visiting from Vermont, followed by leaving for a month of training in Colorado.  I thought, I'll do it when we get to Colorado, but no one warned me about how altitude/oxygen deprivation makes one extremely tired.  For the first week we were there, I was cashing in my chips early. Then in subsequent weeks of training I was too emotionally spent (and too behind in homework) to do more than what I had to do for that day.  Then I thought, when I get to Albania, I will do a summer re-cap.  Yeah, that didn't happen either.  SO, before any more time slips by, here is Reni's 5th birthday re-cap!

Reni's birthday was all about him and what we knew he would like!  The village is relatively close to the sea (about 30 minutes from a nice, sandy beach), but in spite of its proximity, we don't go that often. So at breakfast we told him to suit up because we were going to the sea.  And guess who forgot her camera?  We stayed for about an hour and a half (our beach toys hadn't made the move to the village yet), then headed back to Vlash for showers and lunch. 

At lunch we told him that the next part of his day would include a special trip to the movies!  This is a really big deal because we've always made a trip to the movie theater an event.  We don't do it a lot, since not a lot of children's movies come to the theater here (or at least ones that are worth paying to see).  He's been begging to see Planes 2, which we told him didn't exist, but oops!  We were wrong!  We had arranged for his friend Joe to come with us but sadly he got a fever and had to cancel. That was disappointing, but we still had fun, even me who doesn't usually enjoy animated films.  While we were in Tirana we stopped by our old apartment to pick up some more belongings and Skyped with Gigi and Gjysh while he opened their care package.  Again, no photos! : (

At the end of the day we came home to the village and Skyped with Nona and PaPa in Ohio and opened the last of his gifts.  This time I got my camera out, in spite of the fact the table was still covered in bags and piles.  Below, he's showing five fingers for five years!



Nathan wasn't content with decorating a sheet cake.  No, let's cut it up and make a lego car!





All in all, I think he had a great day!  It was just the break we needed in the middle of unpacking and setting up our new home!

No comments: