Pages

10.11.2019

Home | Mason County, IL

I've been blessed to call a number of places 'home,' but one will always be my first home.  Shoo-ed outdoors, my childhood memories include much time riding bikes, playing in the pasture, or exploring the pete ditch with my sister and neighbor friends. Shortly after returning to America for this fall home assignment, one of those neighbors (whose children I babysat!) asked me to photograph some places around their family farm special to her children. 

For my friends who've never seen where I was born and raised, here is a little glimpse:


A monarch on goldenrod

Looking south across a field of sorghum

From probably the 1970s on, most outbuildings were built of sheet metal, but a few old wooden ones remain.

Our part of the county is known for its sandy soil, but abundant water sources in underground aquifers.  We were early adopters of pivot irrigation of necessity.

Not all homes are built on the main road!  

This poor building is in this shape due to a tornado that ripped through

Mason County has its share of livestock


This fence row was particularly nostalgic for me, remembering my own attempts to safely cross over similar fences without snagging my clothes (or skin).  Nowadays fence rows have straight, manufactured posts, taught wires, but these naturally bent and gnarly posts are what I grew up with.




In our family, it was only green.  Nothing runs like a D....



These are quickly vanishing... I remember my grandparents used to have one...now long gone.


We didn't have water parks growing up, we just had the biggest sprinklers in the world to wet us down and keep us cool....

Thanks for indulging me this trip down memory lane!

No comments: