Pages

4.30.2019

Getting Back on the Horse | April Review

Personally speaking, I've always wanted to be "goal-oriented".  Isn't that one of those "seven habits of highly successful people"? (I actually don't know, I just assumed).

Yet most of my adult life I've lacked the discipline to put goals on paper. On those occasions I have set "goals," I haven't provided myself with the accountability to ensure I follow through.  I usually give myself a "pass" because of my stellar ability to create wonderfully detailed to-do lists.

Enter our regional director who has implemented rolling quarters, a system of monthly accountability.  Each monthly report includes three goals for the upcoming month.  But the first question of our meetings regard how we dealt with our three goals for the previous month.

So here I sit, on the last day of the month, knowing that tomorrow I must give an account for my April goals, one of which was re-entering the practice of blogging -- something I have yet to do this year.

_________

Last year was hard, for so many reasons.  I didn't know what would spill out if I would sit down to record on this digital journal. So I refrained, posting only occasionally, avoiding anything too personal.

With Dad's passing ten months ago, I lost a big part of my incentive to write.  Dad taught me photography, and he also taught me an appreciation for the written word.  Along with inheriting from him a heavy dose of sentimentality and a need for affirmation, this blog represented a big part of him in me.  And I didn't realize how much I subconsciously wrote for his enjoyment, and ultimately, for his approval.

Then this winter my mom made a monumental discovery.  Unbeknownst to any of us, Dad had journal-ed.  Specifically, the journals she discovered began when they started dating, almost exactly 50 years ago to the date.  Just a few weeks ago she typed them up and shared them with my sisters and I.  It was such a gift to hear his voice again (albeit much younger) and it reminded me not to be so selfish in my own journaling motives (not that I think the world is so eager to read my writing, ugh -- the idea seems horribly narcissistic). This is for my children first, then for any of my family and friends with whom we want to stay connected.

So where to start back up? 
How about this past month? 
There's no easier place to begin than to share a smattering of photos from the cell phone...

___________________

The first weekend of the month I took some colleagues on a girls-only overnight trip down to see part of southern Albania, including the beautiful Albanian city of Gjirokaster (below).  Part of the downside of going pre-tourism season (this particular city is a UNESCO World Heritage site) is that you might possibly run into repairs -- which we did.  The trip started off with a bang when we struggled just to reach our hotel when we ran into blocked street after blocked street, requiring many adrenaline-pumping drives in reverse down wall-lined, single-laned cobblestone streets. There's a reason why Nathan does most of the driving here!

I eventually drove on this street (below) when we could figure out no other way to get to our hotel. I'm not exaggerating to say that it's a miracle that I didn't pop a tire, break something on the undercarriage of the vehicle, scrape a wall or other vehicle, or require a tow truck to pull us out of a ditch or deep hole.


My hands were literally shaking by the time we reached our destination.  Gjirokaster, you are lovely, but I won't be visiting again for a long time!


My dish dryer one-night decided not to take his job too seriously...


Did you know that Easter baskets in this part of the world are red?


And all the eggs are red too?


One afternoon we got a text message from the son of some friends while grocery shopping.  He could sleep in the airport if need be, but if it wasn't too much trouble, could we spare a bed for the night?  He wasn't reaching his host in Kosova and didn't want to arrive late at night with no plan.  Thankfully it worked out that we literally picked him up at the airport on our way home and he caught a ride to Tirana the next morning with one of our village friends who took him to the bus station to take the bus to Kosovo.  Reni was thrilled to have a teen American house guest again (in spite of the silly expression on his face below)!


This month the kids studied World War II in school.  Below, Miss Pam teaches them how to make "war cake" -- a dessert made with ration ingredients.


Thanks to a special gift, we were able to add a bit of extra space to our home!  Given that we live above the ministry center where we have no private outdoor space, it has been a dream of ours for years to have a place to eat a meal outside and enjoy the out-of-doors.  After much careful planning by Nathan, we built a 3x5 meter deck off our living room/dining/kitchen and above the outdoor covered area where the village kids play four-square.


The weather stretched the construction timeline out to nearly a week (I think we chose the wettest week of the year), but eventually we finished!


 It's already proving to be a wonderful "spillover" space from our cozy home, accessible through a little door we installed where a window used to be. Now when we host summer teams, we should have ample table space for everyone to eat (no more holding plates on laps on the couch)! But we're already enjoying it as a bigger place to hold coffees, Bible studies and meetings than our present living room!  Just mind your head as you go back inside (wink).



Spring came to Albania this month!  I couldn't resist snapping some photos on the cell phone of Ellie with her guitar in this grassy orchard behind the rental house in Metalle...




Coloring Easter eggs and hosting an easter egg hunt continue to be a highlight at the Hope Center!  


On the Saturday before Easter we were invited to a special birthday party in Durres, complete with dancing, DJ, videographer and photographer!


The kids were good sports as it lasted several hours, but eventually we all had to take a break from the 90 decibels, and enjoy the view of the Adriatic.



Reni, at the party, reading a library book on the phone.  This month he discovered a new book series that has him captivated.  I'm thrilled.


The sign below reads "Happy Easter".  This hung over the front door of our center.


We had an outdoor service that included cardboard testimonies (a drama of sorts, set to music), a message from Pastor Genti, and capped it all off with a cook out and Easter Egg hunt!





Below, Nathan gives instructions for the egg hunt.  Anyone 12 and under could participate.


It was wildly popular -- even though we only had 50 plastic eggs for the more than 20 kids who participated.  Thankfully our summer team told us they are bringing more so we can do this again, but on a larger scale, next year!



We had friends over for Easter dinner where we colored eggs,


 ...and they taught us the tradition of cracking eggs to see whose was the 'hardest'!


Reni has spent a lot of time with one of our neighbors over their mutual love of nerf gun wars.  Like a LOT of time.  I'm finding nerf bullets everywhere!


 Last week we had a special reward party at Kids Club.  They had a wonderful time playing special games...


 ...and shopping at our prize store with points earned.


This winter Nathan devised a portable power supply with a trickle-charge battery so we can run a projector out in Metalle (the house is not hooked up to electricity).  As such, we were able to bring the Wii to our special party.  Below, the kids are 'slicing pineapples.'


Shooting targets of plastic cups with nerf guns... Reni was a good sport to share from his "arsenal" :-)


Sunday was Orthodox Easter (Albania officially recognizes both church calendars) and we were gifted these decorated eggs.  Aren't they lovely?


Happy Easter from the Waggoners!





No comments: