Pages

10.27.2018

Happy Birthday, Dad... and a link

Today Dad would have been 68.

It's kind of surreal that for the first time since I can remember I am not calling my Dad or celebrating with him on October 27.

Today Mom sent me some photos from the cemetery.  At Hannah's request they have placed a fall wreath until his permanent marker arrives, sometime later this winter. 

This morning I snapped some photos of Reni (at his request, surprise, surprise!) astride a neighbor's donkey.  In the middle of snapping pics, I thought to myself how much Dad would have enjoyed such a photo op.  If it had been of himself, he would have printed it on postcards and sent it to all his friends.


Though Reni didn't know it, just asking me to take his photo was a special gift to me on this day.


As much as Reni wanted the photo, apparently he was a bit terrified the animal would take off with him on top, so Reni insisted Luli remain by his side.


Finally, as much for my own reference later, I'm posting here a link here to Dad's memorial service.  We tried streaming it on Facebook live but ran into a number of technical difficulties with many interruptions.  Thankfully, we had asked our friend, Steve B, to make a real HD recording for posterity.  Nathan posted it to YouTube for me this week.  He broke it up into 11 separate videos (to easily skip to various points in the service) in one playlist.  If you're interested in viewing the service, click here.

In watching it again, I am so grateful to my brother-in-law, Stephen, for facilitating such a wonderful, God-honoring service, and to everyone else who contributed.  It was a real comfort to us personally at the time, and even more so now.

No comments: