Pages

1.19.2016

That Morning We Felt Like Rock Stars

Editor's Note:  This post was all composed and ready to publish when the internet dropped out and I couldn't save my changes.  Then the electricity went out and my text was lost forever.  Then my spirits dropped and I didn't get back on Blogger for more than two weeks... Here we go with "Take Two."

Christmas Eve 2015.  We were slated to deliver shoe boxes at our local grade school's Christmas parties.  I must admit I didn't have the greatest attitude.  All I could think of was how much work was left to do for Christmas Day.  I know.  Bah humbug.  How selfish am I? 

Elio, son of our colleagues, Genti and Shpresa, joined us to distribute gifts

But as soon as we arrived at the restaurant hosting this year's party, my thoughts evaporated.  One of the doors to the banquet room opened slightly and one side of the room got a glimpse of our group's presence and the room erupted into cheers.

At their cue, the DJ cranked up Moriah Carey's All I Want For Christmas is You and the students were on their feet, clapping in rhythm with the song like they were waiting for their favorite sports team to enter the stadium or musician to walk onto stage..

A few girls from church asked if they could join us (Ambra even skipping her own class's party to be with us).  Instead of Nathan explaining the reason we give gifts at Christmas, he gave the microphone to Eda (known by virtually all of the students as 'the nurse's daughter').  She went beyond a simple explanation of why we give gifts at Christmas and shared the Good News with boldness.  We were so proud of her!



Then in an orderly fashion we handed out gifts by class and gender.



It's so fun to see 'our kids' from the center sprinkled around the room -- some from our village, others that walk to our center for English class ... they all seemed happy to say they 'knew' us! ;-)





I can't say enough how grateful the kids were, as well as how excited they were for their friends as each opened his or her box.




I also loved seeing how happy the teachers were for their students.


Some special girls I can't resist squeezing whenever I see them.


We finished by singing "We Wish You a Merry Christmas" in Shqip.  As you can see, Ellie never resists a chance to hold the microphone.


Santa's helpers are all done!


No comments: