Pages

4.19.2013

Virginia!


   Last weekend brought the special treat of staying with one of my college roommates, Jenni.  Living deep down in Chesapeake, Virginia, her home hasn't fallen along the routes of many of our previous travels.  And given that I hadn't seen her or her children in five years, or her husband, Robert, since I was in their wedding eleven years ago (blame several long Navy deployments), we had a lot to catch up on! Within minutes of arriving, I was hearing a story of Jenni riding a gimpy horse and I was instantly transported back to when we were eighteen.  (Any of our college friends reading this will know what I mean -- Jenni is the consummate storyteller!)

It was so fun to see Ellie and Ms. A become friends!  Friday night Ellie stayed the night in A's room, Saturday night, A  stayed with Ellie (and us) in the RV!  Super fun for Ellie to experience her first sleepovers!

Saturday morning Mr. P had a Little League game and I had fun trying my hand at sports photography.  Wow!  What fun!  I see why so many enjoy this!


Reni thought the game was one big snack time and ate (and drank) through just about everything I brought along!

Maybe it's capturing moments like the one below that is why I think I could really enjoy this kind of photo-taking!  At least at the Little League level (I'm guessing the bigger kids hit those balls a little harder and faster!)



I never envisioned Jenni marrying such a sports enthusiast.  But I'll forgive her, 'cause at least he's a Cubs fan.  I don't think P stood a chance of playing any other sport!

   Saturday night we had supper at Jenni's parents' house.  I think I was a surprised at the wave of nostalgia that hit me driving into their neighborhood.  I spent two of my four college spring breaks at the Savage's home, then when I moved to DC after graduation, I would escape the craziness of the city for the more tranquil and familial feeling I got at Jenni's parents' home in the timber where they treated me like family.  I hadn't visited since Jenni's wedding and not much had changed, except for the presence of all the KIDS! :-)


Jenni's sister, Karen, came over too with her three children (her hubby was at work) and for the first time I got to eat in the formal dining room!  Finally a grown up! ;-)



Special times!
After church and lunch, we drove up to Richmond, Virginia where we reconnected with Jesse and Sarah and met their daughter, Sarah!  We met this talented couple when they were studying at Asbury Theological Seminary.  Shortly after they married, they traveled to Albania where Jesse entertained the Planters' Bible Club kids with his music and juggling. 


The Joyners have renovated an older home in downtown Richmond.  After supper, we took a walk to see some of the beauty of their neighborhood.


(Above) I learned that a well-known adoption blogger (whose blog is linked over in the sidebar) resided on this street until a year or so ago!  I know.  What a nerd. My version of celebrity ;-) 

(Below)  According to Reni, that is "The Statue The Liberty"


Next up:  Northern Virginia Aunt Rebecca's and Jan's!

In the mean time, we're headed tomorrow over to Port Republic to share on Sunday at the prettiest church on the Atlantic Coast:  Port Church.  We appreciate your prayers on our behalf!  We are presently at 54% of our monthly support and appreciate opportunities like this to share about Albania and meet new potential ministry partners!

No comments: